4 cups shredded, cooked chicken (can use chicken from 1 -2 rotisserie chickens)
1 32 ounce jar salsa (can use salsa verde if you can find it)
3 cups Monterey Jack Cheese shredded and divided
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
salt and black pepper
16 6-inch flour tortillas
1/2 medium white onion, halved and sliced thin
Optional: sour cream and guacamole to serve
- Adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix chicken with 3/4 cup of the salsa 1 1/2 cups of the cheese, 1/4 cup of cilantro, and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spread 1 cup of the salsa over the bottom of a 9 X 13 baking dish.
- Microwave tortillas on high power in a microwave safe plastic bag until warm, approximately 45 seconds.
- Then, working one at a time, spoon about 1/4 cup of the chicken filling into a tortilla.
- Roll into a cylinder and place, seam side down, in the baking dish. You may have to turn some sideways to fit.
- Drizzle enchiladas evenly with 1 1/2 cups of the salsa, and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Lightly spray a sheet of foil with cooking spray. cover dish and bake until heated through, about 30 minutes.
- Remove foil, sprinkle with onion and remaining cilantro, let stand for a few minutes, and serve with remaining salsa and sour cream and guacamole if desired.
Submitted by Erin